Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Advice - BE NICE




Day 8, Wednesday: A piece of advice you have for others

Here's my #1 piece of advice to everyone in the world:  BE NICE!!!!

There are many reasons for this advice.  


  1. It's nice to be nice!  If someone is being rude to you, and you are rude back to them, they will probably keep being rude.  If you are nice anyway, it might change the dynamic of the whole situation.  It might not, but being mean back wouldn't make it better anyway.
  2. You never know what that person is going through.  On any given day, we all have a lot of stuff going on, with friends and family, and health issues, and job issues, etc.  Or maybe they have just been dealing with rude people all day and finally gave up on being friendly.  One of my favorite things is to actually ask a fast food worker or grocery store cashier how they are doing, and then wait for an answer.  Or I tell them to have a good day.  It's amazing to see how surprised they look, and I think they must deal with grumpy customers all day long.  You may never know how much a smile or kind word means to someone.    
  3. You'll probably be happier if you are nice.  I'll be honest, sometimes I am a jerk to rude people, and I always feel worse about myself.  This doesn't mean you have to be a pushover, either.  If someone is being terrible to you, you can point it out without being terrible back to them.  It's difficult, but possible, and they will probably be more receptive to your comments if you are being nice, instead of like "HEY, STOP BEING A JERK FACE!"  If you nicely point it out to them, maybe they will actually stop being a jerk face.  
There's my two cents.  What advice would you share with others?


Shirt: Sunny Leigh
Scarf: H&M
Jeans: Old Navy
Shoes: Loft

4 comments:

  1. Very good advice. I usually say treat others how you want to be treated. One thing that I do at the grocery store if the cashier is bagging the groceries really good is tell them. I am a freak about the way the groceries are bagged (frozen with frozen, etc). Sometimes people just throw it in there. When I told the cashier, she was truly surprised and really smiled and said thank you.

    I also like your pattern mixing today :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Heather. This is perfect advice. There are so many quotes that echo the sentiment; "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." There's also the poem from Chicken Noodle Soup about how a little bit of kindness got passed on from on person to another and then something really great happened in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute top! I agree with your advice. My grandmother always said there is never a good excuse to be rude. I would add that we should discourage "Mean Girls" who behave like good girls in front of others. That is the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Andi! I'm all about being nice. I've been thinking a lot about gossip lately and how it seems harmless and entertaining at first, but ultimately, it is just plain rude. It can be so hurtful and unkind. I get really uncomfortable when I know people have been talking about me - I don't like when people gossip about me, so why should I gossip about others?

    ReplyDelete