Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Paloma Gray (and Books!)



Two link ups in one day!  I'm continuing the Pantone challenge with Heidi and Marissa, AND it's Literary Junkies day.

First, the outfit.  It's pretty much all new.  I bought these shorts in Minnesota last Sunday.  I wanted a pair of gray (I mean, PALOMA gray) shorts last summer, but never found a pair that I liked, so I figured I should grab these.  The top is from Loft outlet, and the shoes are from J.Crew factory.  I wanted to wear the shoes on Friday, and then I realized the weather was perfect for shorts and a light sweater, and my new purchases were visible (in their bags, on the floor, in front of my closet), so this outfit happened.  It's a little plain for me, but the shoes helped!

Now for the book nerd stuff...  

1. What are you reading right now? Tell us about it!

I'm currently between books.  I just finished The Alchemist.  It's about a shepherd boy who goes on a journey looking for treasure and ends up on a different type of journey than he expected. 
 

2. Divergent, Hunger Games, or Twilight. Which do you prefer and why? (If you've never read them which do you think you'd prefer?)

I haven't read the Twilight books (and don't think I ever will), so I'm just picking between the 2 others.  I like the Hunger Games books better.  It's possible that is just because I read them first, and then Divergent was so similar in some ways.  I couldn't stop picturing Katniss!  But I think as a trilogy, the Hunger Games was much better. 
3. TV Series Based on Books they start out very close to the book to draw in the fans but then will start to separate themselves by changing things and adding characters. What are you thoughts on this?

I'm not sure I've watched many TV shows based on books.  I can see why this happens, because the TV folks want to keep the stories going longer than the book.  

4. You've just been recruited to help a movie studio bring your favorite book to the big screen. What's the movie and who are you choosing to play the main characters?

It's impossible to pick a favorite book, so I'm limiting it to my favorite book of 2014 - Ready Player One.  Since I listened to the audio book, I was totally imagining Wade Watts as Wil Wheaton, but Wade is supposed to be a teenager, so I have no idea who would be good!  Probably some unknown actor!  Aech would be Amber Riley, if she can still pass for a teenager.  Art#mis would be somebody like Alia Shawkat or Chloe Moretz.  Sorrento would be Timothy Olyphant.  For Halliday and Ogden Morrow, I can't decide, but I think it would be fun to have actors that are kind of "nerd favorites."       
5. Going back to the above question, do you keep it word for word the same or do you use this chance to change little things you thought would make the book better?

I would keep things as true to the book as possible.  For this particular book, I think the movie will have some difficulty, because it's 80% virtual reality.  I suspect they'll end up doing CGI, but I'd rather have it be like the Matrix, where it is real people on both sides.  It will also be tricky to figure out all the pop culture references and how to deal with the royalties from other movies/tv shows/video games.  
6. After you finish a physical copy of a book do you keep it for a reread, put it on a shelf to collect dust, donate it to Goodwill, or do you just not purchase physical copies of books?

I love the library, so I don't buy many books anymore.  If I buy a book and like it, I'll probably keep it to loan it to friends that might like it.  I very rarely re-read anything.  The last few books I've purchased have been at book signings!    

Fun questions this month!  Let me know what you are reading, and how you'd answer some of these questions. 

Sweater: Loft
Tank: Gap
Shorts: Old Navy
Shoes: J.Crew Factory

16 comments:

  1. Still can't get enough of your new floral flats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man now I really want a pair of grey shorts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit and how you added pops of color in your jewelry and shoes! Great choices. Also, I am torn between Divergent and The Hunger Games--both are great! I think I like Divergent a hair more at the moment, but I also loved so so much about THG. Ah, I'll never decide :P Dystopian lit is my FAVORITE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those flats are so cute! what a great purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh love your flats! And I've been wanting to read The Alchemist- would be interested to hear what you think when done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those flats! floral flats are just genius. I think we have the Alchemist sitting at my house somewhere...I'm not getting a good read on whether you enjoyed it or not! would you recommend it or pass?

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, tell me you loved The Alchemist! I will tell you that I love these shoes, and that's the truth. I kind of wish I snagged them when I drooled over them. They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are really cute flats! I love the literary questions as I am a book nerd myself. I suffer from a book hoarding problem and my Nook has definitely allowed me to forego the embarrassment of being seen with a trashy romance novel so I keep all of those in e-book format. And I don't mean, 50 Shades of Suck, either. I mean bodice ripping covers and historical romance from back when even kissing was being put in a compromising position. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute shoes :) The Alchemist was an interesting read!

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/literary-junkies-16/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sweater...and the shoes! I don't buy books anymore either, unless they're garage sale finds, ie Nancy Drew books for my collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, love the shoes! Secondly, I love journey stories so I'm going to have to give The Alchemist a read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow, those flats! I'm in love with them! Knowing you, they're going to get worn a lot and in the most wonderful, beautiful, colorful outfits...and I'm so excited to see them! I'm glad you finally got a pair of gray shorts that you like, too! I can't wait until I'm finally done with grad school so that I can read for fun again :) 23 days until I graduate, but who's counting, right?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't think this outfit is plain at all; if i were wearing patterned shoes, i probably would keep my top and bottom a solid color too. i love that you picked out the green in the shoes with your green necklace though! and great questions & answers -- i have tried many a time to get into the alchemist but i have never been able to get very far. maybe one of these days i'll get through it. i'm also finding the benefit of checking out books from the library or on my ipad and if i like it enough and think i'll want to reread it, i can always re-check it out or buy it... my bookshelves are so overflowing and it's hard to find good storage for books, so i'm trying to change my reading habits in that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) love the outfit! ;) 2) I try hard not to buy any more books and use my library for ebooks and audiobooks. Seems to be working. Plus I have an entire bookcase full of books I haven't read yet. ;) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete