Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Book Review - Station Eleven



Station Eleven is a kind of bizarre book.  I knew that it was a novel set after the collapse of society (flu kills almost everyone, which you know, isn't as far-fetched as I want it to be).  I didn't know that it centered around a traveling symphony.  I was actually super excited about the book, and telling John about it, and as I read the synopsis on Goodreads, thought it sounded kind of cheesy.  But I went ahead and read it, because I had heard good things.  And I really liked it.  The story jumps back and forth between about 20 years after the flu outbreak and about 20 years before.  And how the main characters lives somehow intertwine over the years and everything that happens.

Overall, I thought this book was interesting and well-written, but I wanted more closure at the end.  It was one of those books where it seemed like the author was just like 'Meh, I'm tired of writing.  It's good enough."  And I know authors do that sometimes for effect, and to make the reader fill in the blanks, but sometimes it works better.

I'll probably check out the other books by Emily St. John Mandel at some point.  Maybe they have more closure?  

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book and how it kind of breaks out of some of the "post-apocalyptic" standard fare. I mean, a traveling symphony? Loved that. I'm with you on wishing the flu thing were more far-fetched though... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this was another good one, because it's on my list to read (if I ever in my lifetime finish reading Game of Thrones which I have been reading for months and months and forever.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so, so good! I recently added it to my Goodreads - can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete